‘Anaesthesia, Pain & Intensive Care’ (APICARE) first appeared as ‘Anaesthesia News’ in 1997.
It contained few case reports and a review article and a portion of it was dedicated to news about the anaesthesia and the anesthesiologists related activities in the country. The overwhelming response by the anesthesiologists from all over the country prompted its name to be changed to ‘Anaesthesia, Pain & Intensive Care’ just after the first two issues, with the aim of converting it into a scientific, research journal representing the four sister specialties of anesthesiology, pain management, intensive care and resuscitation. Soon the research articles started to pour in, which compelled us to adopt a comprehensive peer review system. The journal has since thrived despite innumerable constraints, and now boasts to be one of the leading research oriented journals of the region. Our area of circulation encompasses whole of South Asia and the Middle East and the journal is indexed / abstracted by many of the international agencies.
It has been registered by Pakistan Medical & Dental Council and recognized by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.
It is published on four monthly basis in the months of April, August and December every year.
ABSTRACTING AND INDEXING
The journal is abstracted and indexed by;
Academic Search Alumni Edition
Academic Search™ Complete
Academic Search Elite
Academic Search Premier
Academic Search R&D
Index Medicus (EMR)
Ulrich’s Directory (Switzerland)
infomine – The Regents of the University of California
GFMER – Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research
Index Pakistan of PM&DC approved journals
EZB – Electronic Journals Library
University of Newcastle
Faculty of Anaesthesia, Pain & Intensive Care.
ISSN:1607-8322 (Print) ; 2220-5799 (Electronic) ; 1607-8322 (Linking)
Islamabad : T.H. Khan
NLM ID: 101313795 [Serial]
Anesthesia, pain & Intensive Care is a member of ‘International Committee of Medical Journal Editors’ and abides by ‘The Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals’ available at http://www.icmje.org/urm_main.html
‘Anaesthesia, Pain & Intensive Care’ (APICARE), a peer reviewed journal, aims:
- To encourage young physicians belonging to the sister specialties of anesthesiology, pain management, intensive care and resuscitation from the target area to indulge in true research.
- To provide them with all the possible help to start research proposals, assistance with the linguistics and statistical analysis.
- To act as a medium to publish their original research papers, case reports and review articles.
- To disseminate the updates about the latest progress and developments in the relevant specialties.
- To help the young entrants in the specialties with preparation for their professional examinations.
- To establish close liaison with other reputed journals, organisations and societies related to the four specialties, with special emphasis to provide the readers with current updates and trends.
Anaesthesia, Pain & Intensive Care has a very comprehensive review system. The salient features of which are appended below;
- The following types of articles received for publication are reviewed / peer reviewed as shown;
Types of Articles
|1||Original articles||One of the editorial members||Peer reviewer from foreign countries||Peer reviewer from foreign countries|
|2||Case reports||One of the editorial members||Peer reviewer from Pakistan / foreign countries||Peer reviewer from Pakistan / foreign countries|
|3||Case series||One of the editorial members||Peer reviewer from Pakistan / foreign countries||Peer reviewer from Pakistan / foreign countries|
|4||Editorial views||One of the editorial members||Peer reviewer from Pakistan / foreign countries|
|5||Review articles||One of the editorial members||Peer reviewer from Pakistan / foreign countries||Peer reviewer from Pakistan / foreign countries|
|6||Brief report||One of the editorial members||Peer reviewer from Pakistan / foreign countries|
|8||Tends & Technology||One of the editorial members|
|9||Letters to editor||One of the editorial members|
|10||‘My Most Memorable Patient’||One of the editorial members|
|11||‘My Most Unforgettable Experience’||One of the editorial members|
- B. Review system:
- Reviewers are e-mailed the article to be reviewed as attachment with a request to review the article within ten days.
- A ‘Check List for Reviewers’ is also attached to be filled in by the reviewer (copy attached).
- Reviewer is requested to use the proforma or the ‘Review’ option of the MS Word.
- The comments of the reviewer are forwarded to the corresponding author for necessary amendments/corrections.
- The corrected paper is checked for amendments/corrections by the first reviewer.
- The corrected paper is sent to the second reviewer.
- Final decision is taken in the light of both reviewers comments.
- The acceptance letter is issued to the corresponding author, if the paper is accepted for publication.
- The whole of the article is checked, edited, language and grammar mistakes are corrected and formatting done. Tables and diagrams are edited and formatted.
- Statistical review: Every original article is sent to the statistician for statistical review, either just after receiving the article or after reviewing by peer review.
- D. Check List for Reviewers: A specially designed proforma covering all aspects of reviewing process, including title, abstract, adequacy of the need and validity of the study, statistical analysis, presentation, language etc. is sent to the reviewers along with the article to be filled. The reviewers are requested to offer their comments and suggestions for improvement of the article.
- Bibliography: The references are checked by one of the editorial members for relevance, correctness and formatting.
Conflict Resolution Policy
If any conflict arises regarding reviewers comments and/or opinion, the originally received paper along with reviewers comments and/or opinion as well as the author’s reply are sent to a third scholar of fame.
His/her decision is taken as the final decision and the author is informed accordingly.
The final authority to accept or reject any manuscript submitted for publication, rests with Editor-in-Chief, and his decision cannot be challenged in any court of law.
Anti Plagiarism Policy
- The sole responsibility for the originality and genuine authorship rests with the authors, and the journal accepts no liability for any dispute arising out of a plagiarized manuscript published in the journal.
- Plagiarism is checked by two methods;
- Judgment by editors. The language of the article speaks loudly; sentence construction, spellings and grammar mistakes are often enough to screen out plagiarized material.
- Anti Plagiarism software: A web based software –Turnitin®, supplied very kindly by HEC, is used to detect doubtful material; yet it is stressed that no guaranty can always be offered by any means of originality of a manuscript.
Annual audit is done through certified chartered accountants as per policy of HEC. (Copies of the audit reports are submitted to HEC and PM&DC).
Open Access Policy
This is an open access journal which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles in this journal without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.
‘Anaesthesia, Pain & Intensive Care’ is the official journal of;
PAKISTAN RESUSCITATION SOCIETY (PARES)